Friday, April 20, 2007

Internet access from the boat or other remote locations via EVDO


I sighed up for EVDO, got my card and am looking forward to this allowing me to spend more time on the boat.

EVDO is broadband (high speed) wireless internet. You get a small card that slides into your laptop.

Bingo, you can now surf the internet, get email or work as long as you are in an area with service. That last part is the kicker however as time go by the areas with service keeps growing.

The major cell phone carriers are offering this service in at least some of their markets now.

In time the service will continue to get faster with updated revisions and coverage will get as good as a cell phone.

I am testing my connection speed at an independent site called CNET and getting about 400 to 600 kbps (8x to 12x dial up speed) depending on where I am at when I run the test. I have not had this for long but so far I get coverage everywhere I have tried it but again its only been a day and a half.

Cost is a bit steep at $60/month ($80 if you don’t already have a cell phone with them) however I am planning on dumping roadrunner to save $35/month plus I typically spend the $9.99/day in a airport or some hotels / resorts that combine to average 4 to 5 times a month. So net effect this may end up saving me money.

One marine application I can think of is using this for updated weather and radar information.

No comments: