Thursday, April 26, 2007

Unexpected repair expenses

It seems like at the start of each season I have some unexpected repair expenses. Things like slip cost, insurance, fuel, and maintenance are part of the regular costs of boating.

The screen on my GPS/Chart plotter is leaking liquid crystal. For reference, it smells like dish soap.

The second bad news is I am past warranty but I don’t think this would have been covered anyways. I did remove the unit from my boat and stored it in a box in the basement. I think one of the kids must have played with it and dropped it and put it back. I do blame myself. Should have kept it in my bedroom.

The good news is the manufacturer will do a ‘swap-out’ with a rebuilt unit and will transfer the waypoints / routs / etc and send me a refurbished unit for $175. I’m sending it out next day air today. I should get the refurbished unit with a 90 day warranty by next Friday.

With shipping I’m out less then $200, far less then replacement cost of a new unit.

Oh-well. I hope this is it for unexpected repairs. With the slip ($1,450/season – paid in full up front), insurance, new batteries, repairs to the canvas, and this GPS thing I am now over two grand and I have not got the boat in the water yet.

No comments: